Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Adventure! / Monday, July 25

I took a drive yesterday and noticed this groovy little sculpture in a yard here in the north part of town. 
Turns out, it had just arrived here from Mexico.
 I loved the use of harsh materials to embrace whimsy. 
As it turned out, the owner of the home didn't think it was weird that a completely strange stranger wanted to take photos of her garden art. 

We got to talking, and the next thing I knew, we were in my car, tootling down the highway on our way to some land a few miles north of town.
My new friend Julie (HI, JULIE!) had me park in front of this unassuming little barn.



I felt like the kids in the back of the War Drobe as they entered Narnia. It was like stepping into a different world. 



And then I started to meet some folks. Well, equine folks, anyway. 

I met a beautiful, beautiful boy. A retired racer, this Morgan's muscles and form were sheer beauty. 


I wish I could remember his fella's name. I met a BUNCH of horses, and know I've got their names all mixed up in my head. (Sorry, new friend Julie.)

While I can't remember his moniker, I don't think I'll ever forget his extra tail-sprout. Apparently, it's a genetic anomaly that confounds vets. I think it's awesome.


Then I met this young lady.


She taught me that not all horses like having their photos taken.



While she may not enjoy having a shutter snapping near her, she was visibly overjoyed to see Julie.


True love is beautiful, isn't it?

This is Diamond. She followed us around like a dog, nudging here and shoving there, sniffing and snuffling at everything. She was so bold. And fearless. And I couldn't figure out why, but I really, really wanted her to like me.

And then Julie explained the alpha-mare concept.

Look at those eyes.


It all makes sense, doesn't it?

As we were leaving, we were treated to even more beauty.


Here's to what is possible when we don't try to be anything but in the here and now, the wonderful people we meet, the connections we make and the memories we cherish. 

And to always wearing cruddy shoes when you go out exploring. 

Because you never know what you're glorious thing you're gonna step in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment